Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Boreal Interruption



This bird whacked into our new bath window yesterday afternoon. I heard a flump (sound of bird hitting window) and noticed it on the rail of our deck. It rested up for about a half hour, collected its wits and moved on. It is the elusive and shy Boreal Owl.

My daughter, now studying in New Zealand, sent me a note about a special paint that only birds can see - to the human light spectrum it is invisible, birds apparently see a brick wall. Always something new to think about.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to know where to buy it! Interestingly informative. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a link to the story they had on CBC where I heard about it.

    http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/01/21/ot-090121-bird-decals.html

    ReplyDelete